How to make marinated lemon scallion dressingIt's so easy! Here's what you need:
1 bunch of scallions
1 small lemon
Fresh black pepper
Red pepper flakes
White wine vinegar
1. Slice scallions – white and green parts both – thinly.
2. Wash lemon well, remove the ends and slice in half lengthwise. Slice these halves into half-moons as thin as possible (you can use a mandolin for this).
3. Transfer the scallions and lemon to a jar. Sprinkle generously with a couple good pinches of salt and granulated sugar, five or six grindings of fresh black pepper, a pinch of red pepper flakes, and about a tablespoon of dried oregano. Toss to coat.
4. Press the scallions and lemons down in your jar to compress them and pour white wine vinegar over them to almost the top (some pieces will be poking up out of the vinegar).
5. Pour olive oil on top to about equal the amount of scallion/lemon/vinegar mixture (do this by eye, you'll adjust flavors later). Give a good stir or shake and let hang out covered at room temp for a minimum of 6 hours to overnight.
The scallions and lemons should turn a bit translucent. Give the dressing a good stir or shake and taste, adjust the seasoning to your preference of salt, sweet, peppery or oregano. If you think it tastes too oily, add more vinegar. Too sharp? Add more oil.
And you're ready to go! See you in the backyard!